Thursday, November 24, 2011

The Sleeper Hit of Thanksgiving

Hi everyone; I hope your Thanksgiving was special and filled with love, and that you had plenty to be thankful for.  As for me, I'm posting a recipe my aunt brought, because it totally made my Thanksgiving meal.  It was unexpected and delicious, and I vow to make these at least twice a year in my own kitchen from now on.  Are you ready?  The sleeper hit of Thanksgiving this year was none other than...

POPPY SEED ONIONS

Ingredients:
6 medium onions, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds
1 (4-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup milk

Directions:
Separate sliced onions into rings and place in a 1-quart casserole.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and poppy seeds.  Blend cream cheese with milk until smooth (a hand-held electric mixer works great for this; otherwise a simple wire whisk will do the job).  Pour milk mixture over onions; cover and bake at 350 degrees for one hour. 

OK, maybe it didn't knock everyone's socks off, but it sure was a hit with me.  We don't have a lot of onion lovers in our family.  I guess Aunt Cheri and I are cut from the same cloth in that regard.  I always think her dishes are unique and tasty, even if most people think they're weird.  Enjoy this recipe - I'm off to find some dental floss to get the poppy seeds out of my teeth. 

Love,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment