Monday, November 7, 2011

Giant Breakfast Cookies

Today I wanted to share a great recipe from my son's preschool class cookbook.  These have become a regular breakfast treat at our house.  The kids love them because it's a cookie!  For breakfast!  Has Mom gone a little crazy, they wonder?  Does she realize she's serving us cookies for breakfast?  And I smile and chuckle wickedly to myself, because I know that these cookies contain NO SUGAR (unless you use chocolate chips) and a ton of healthy fiber from the whole-wheat flour and rolled oats.  Now I'm not a great food photographer who takes beautiful pictures of her whole recipe from start to finish (I love you, Pioneer Woman.  Be my BFF?), but I simply must share this recipe anyway.  Your kids will love them, you will love them because they're healthy, and you might even love them just for the taste.  I ate two for breakfast myself!  So here goes:

GIANT BREAKFAST COOKIES

1 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup honey (Spray the measuring cup with nonstick cooking spray first, and the honey will slide right out.)
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk (If you don't keep buttermilk on hand, you can just add a tsp or so of white vinegar to just under a cup of milk and let it sour for a couple minutes.  I use this trick all the time.)
2 cups whole-wheat flour
2 cups whole rolled oats (I was out of plain rolled oats, so I substituted instant maple-brown sugar flavored oatmeal, and it worked beautifully.)
1 cup raisins or chocolate chips  (I used mini semi-sweet morsels)

Mix butter, honey, eggs, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and buttermilk.  Stir in flour and oats.  Fold in raisins or chocolate chips.  Scoop heaping tablespoons of dough* onto a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.  Allow cookies to cool for 3-4 minutes on cookie sheet before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely. 

*Note:  I scooped really big cookies - 1/4 cup of dough for each - and this recipe made exactly 20 cookies for me this morning.  Also, my oven baked them perfectly in 15 minutes; just start at 15 and go up from there till you figure out how long they need in your oven.  Enjoy these! 

No comments:

Post a Comment