Saturday, November 12, 2011

It's My Party

...and I'll cry if I want to.  I'm not really crying; I just wanted to finish the song lyric because it would've bugged me if I hadn't. 

I turned thirty-two today.  I spent my birthday sleeping until 8:00 while my kids watched Looney Tunes, trying out my new kitchen toys from my wonderful hubby (more on that in a minute), eating a lovely steak sandwich from Quizno's, playing with my kids at the park, baking myself a birthday cake, taking an hour-long nap, sewing a new hem into some pants for my daughter, painting her nails, preparing a birthday supper (more on that too), then attending my daughter's very first piano recital.  Now she's at a slumber party for her best friend's birthday, and my two boys are snugly tucked into bed for the night.  The only drawback, besides being reminded that I'm another year older, is that Surgeon Hubby is on call this weekend.  I've hardly seen him today.  Oh well, things can't always be perfect. 

Now for the birthday present and fabulous food details!  I made myself a chocolate sheet cake.  It was absolutely delightful.  And I got to play with my brand-new KitchenAid stand mixer (present #1 from my wonderful guy).  I also enjoyed a lovely cup (okay, two) of decaf coffee made with my new Keurig one-cup brewer (present #2).  And while I made supper, I used my sleek, sexy Wusthof Santoku knife (present #3) to dice tomatoes and slice oranges.  It almost sliced the food by itself, it was so insanely sharp.  My knees went a little weak with kitchen-utensil lust.  (Sorry.) 

Oh, I almost forgot - supper was grilled lemon-pepper chicken and bowtie pasta with pesto cream sauce and diced tomatoes.  (The orange slices were for my fruit-loving little monsters.)  The pesto was even homemade!  I had so much fun in the kitchen today.  The big pile of dirty dishes can bloody well wait till tomorrow.  It's my birthday for three and a half more hours, dang it, and I'm not touching those dishes.  I won't do them!  No one can make me!  (maniacal laughter here)

Love,
Thirty-Two-Year-Old Me

No comments:

Post a Comment