Thursday, October 27, 2011

Busy in the Kitchen

I've been a cooking fiend lately.  I think the pregnancy "nesting" phenomenon is manifesting in me as an uncontrollable drive to cook.  Then again, maybe it's this great cooking site I recently discovered.  My new favorite pastime is reading through the recipe archives and printing out my favorites to try.  Today I made homemade salsa (most of the ingredients come from a can!  and it's so good!), chocolate-chip oatmeal cookies, and this obscenely decadent, buttery yellow cake.  As if that wasn't ridiculous enough, I am currently in the process of making creamy carrot soup. 

*Insert groan of food-induced ecstasy here*

What is it about carrots/squash/other root vegetables that just makes me want to make soup?  I'm tellin' ya, the carrots boiling on my stove right now smell heavenly.  I also make a mean butternut squash soup in the fall and winter.  Haven't made it yet this year, but in a few weeks it'll be darn cold in South Dakota, and a bowl of that soup will sound pretty good. 

It's the simplest recipe ever - peel & cube your butternut squash, plop it in a big soup pot, and pour vegetable stock over it till it's covered by a half-inch or so.  Then bring to a boil; reduce heat & simmer till the squash is tender, and use a blender or immersion blender to puree it smooth.  (Yes, I know "puree" should have that little French symbol over the first 'e', but I don't know how to type it that way.)  Then add a dash of salt and plenty of ground white pepper.  Yes, I said white pepper.  Trust me on this. 

If you've never made soup from squash before, you won't believe how creamy it is!  It tastes like you added a whole bunch of fattening dairy products to it, but that's just the natural quality of the squash itself.  Your husband/wife/dinner guests will think you're really spoiling them.  Don't worry; it'll be our little secret.

I wasn't feeling emotionally "up" to telling the rest of my son R.'s story or talking about my flat affect today, so I prattled on about recipes for a while.  I know you won't judge me, because we're all friends here.  In the meantime, go look up the term "flat affect," and I'll be really impressed next time. 

Lotsa love,
Jessica 

No comments:

Post a Comment